top of page
Marching Arts.png

Band and Vocal Ensembles


Music rights are complicated. ClicknClear makes it simple.


We work directly with music publishers to clear their content for use in your band/vocal arrangements.


You can make a request for ANY song in the world or browse through our pre-cleared catalogue of arrangement rights.





Search through our catalogue of pre-cleared Works and filter based on your price tier.


Our pre-cleared catalogue of arrangement rights enables you to instantly license the music for $100, $150 or $250 per song, per Ensemble, for 1 year’s use, and your license agreement is stored in your account, accessible at any time.

LP and AP Process.png
Marching - web page.png


ClicknClear offers a full specialist set of rights, direct from the music industry including the arrangement rights, and the right to choreograph your performance.

By using music from ClicknClear, Federations and Event Producers can also easily license the rights for DVD, Live Streaming and Video on Demand.

All licenses include legal indemnity.


The use of music in performance sports has become essential for routines and performances, as well as general production of events. As a result, federations and event producers must act responsibly in respecting music copyright and address its use, for three primary reasons:


  • It’s the Law

  • It Helps Grow Your Sport

  • It Supports Music Creators




Choreographed Sports Teams and Performing Arts ensembles worldwide that use music have to address and respect its copyrighted use. Usually, an individual or group of individuals who authored the work (song) will exclusively own the work or copyright. If music is used without the proper licenses, the end user can be held liable for copyright infringement, and unfortunately, ‘not knowing’ is not a valid defense.


Copyright law exists in most countries in the world and arises when a qualifying work is created by an individual or company. Neither publication, registration, nor other action is required to secure a copyright, although in some countries use of a copyright notice is recommended, and in a few countries (including the United States) registration of domestic works is required in order to sue for infringement. 

Usually, an individual or group of individuals who authored the work will exclusively own the work. 


In each piece of recorded music, there are two aspects to copyright:

i) the recorded performance of the song, and

ii) the lyrics, melody etc. created by the writers of the song.


Therefore each song is owned by two sets of copyright owners:



The artist(s) who record each version of that song (whether a worldwide hit or an anonymous cover version) own rights in the sound recording of their version.

These are called ‘master rights’.


Then you have the 'publishing rights' that cover the people who wrote the song and control the musical composition of the song: Lyrics, melody, etc. ​ Normally several writers have a % share in each song which can range from less than 1% to 100%.

Each writer will own a certain percentage of the song depending on their contribution to the writing process.​

In order to license music for Marching, you need a license from EVERY rightsholder for the Publishing side ONLY because you are playing the music yourself, thereby creating your own version of the Master.



Before ClicknClear, to license music, you’d need to follow the traditional music licensing process which looks like this:








You’d need to make sure ALL copyright owners have approved the license before you can use it.

This process can ve very expensive and time-consuming.



Copyright infringement refers to the use of a copyrighted work without the permission of the copyright holder, and remember, ‘not knowing’ is not a valid defense against copyright infringement, and the infringing party can still be sued. In the United States, a fine of up to $150,000 applies to each song that is infringed on in each infringement! This amount varies in different countries and can also include a prison sentence in some cases.




The public domain refers to works that are no longer protected by copyright (that is, where the copyright has expired). There are different expiration times depending on the country and the side of music rights held. Typically, the Master rights exist for 50 years from date of release and publishing rights exist for 70-90 years from the date of the last living writer.


There is currently no database of works that are in the public domain, so extensive research needs to be done in order to ensure the work can be used. 




There is often misleading information about what rights are required for ensembles to make an arrangement of music to accompany your routine.

Below is a breakdown of the rights that are needed to use a song in your performance:

In order to use one song for any of the above uses, you need a license from all of the songwriters on the work.


ClicknClear offer all of these rights with our standard license for $100-$250 per song via our pre-cleared licensing platform or at a fee set by the rightsholder(s) if using our approval portal. Our licenses cover you per song, per group, for 1 years’ use. 



To learn more about music copyright for performance sports, check out our explainer video below:

Interested in diving deeper into music copyright?

The Problem_edited.png
Master & Publishing_edited.png
Traditional Licensine Process_edited.png
Marching - web page.png
bottom of page